Information, advice and tips from our Head Coach, Stephen Murphy and the coaching team.
All club swimmers should aim to arrive early to training sessions and competitions to perform a land / pre-pool warm up routine. Doing this prepares you physically and mentally for your session / races and assists in injury prevention. Performing these routines daily will assist with coordination, core strength and general stability. Consult your coach or our lead S and C coach for details and advice on performing your pre-pool routine.
Preparation and lifestyle are also key to improvement and success. Take a look at the info graphics and presentation of performance lifestyle for some sound advice to help you improve!
- Land warm up routine – training and competition: Pre pool workout of the week
- Foam rolling: Read the full article on swimswam.com
- Planning for the benchmark/end of season meets: Benchmark meet
A series of presentations from Swim England dealing with the psychological aspects of competitive swimming.
Support 4 – Self Talk
Support 2 – Exploring process goals
Support 2 – Grounding and staying present
Support 1 – Processing the news
Nutrition and hydration are key to training and racing well day in / day out. If you fuel your body in the right way this will assist training performance and recovery as well as increase performance at competition.
Take a read through these documents to guide your nutritional intake:
- Eat well to train well: 2018 06 Eat well to train well
- Eating on a rest day: 2018 06 Eating on a rest day
- Performance nutrition presentation: 2018 06 Performance Nutrition
- Sleep recovery: 2018 10 Sleep Recovery and Illness prevention 2
Nutrition at home / Nutrition to maintain
The Swimming Parent – Advice and Tips
Swimming is a demanding sport and the further swimmers progress the more time you will invest in the sport. As a swim parent the best things you can do is support your child, show them unconditional love win or lose and leave the coaching to the coaches. Below are some links to some useful guides on how best to support your child and their swimming goals.
- The swimming parent lifestyle guide: 2018 06 Parent guidance-Lifestyle
- The swimming parent lifestyle 2: 2018 06 Parent guide 2-Lifestyle
- Our guide to competitive swimming: 2018 06 Guide to Competitive Swimming at Mid Sussex Marlins
Technique and Skills
The number one avenue for improvement and, most importantly, long term improvement is to continually invest and focus on improving your technique and swim skills (starts, turns, underwater kicking, streamlining etc.).
Improving technique centres around improving streamlining (the reduction of drag / resistance) and improvement of power development and efficiency (stroke length). Below you will find some guidance and presentations on improving swim technique and skills as well as a check-list questionnaire to help you improve your training.
- Backstroke technique: 2018 06 MSM Presentation – Backstroke streamlining-techique
- Self-evaluation questionnaire: 2018 06 Competitive swimmer self evaluation questionnaire
Top tips (All strokes)
Looking to join? Click below…
NASL South Premier Division Club 3 years running
207, 2018, 2019, 2020 Sussex County Champions and Top Club
Sussex League Winners 2016, 2018, 2019
Sussex relay champions 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Highest number of national qualifiers from Sussex County three years running
100+ Sussex County records broken 2016-2020
Highest placing Sussex club in the South East region championships 2017, 2018, 2019
Extensive training programme to suit all levels training out of 5 locations
Already swimming at Regional / National level? Contact our Head coach Steve Murphy to discuss your options and our performance training programme here at Mid Sussex Marlins swimming club. email@example.com
For all general membership enquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org