Head Coach – ASA Level 3
Organisation: Mid Sussex Marlins
Job Type: Permanent
Working Hours: Part time (8 to 10 hours per week)
Location: Burgess Hill
Closing Date: 25th February 2018
Job Reference: MSM – Head Coach 18
Mid Sussex Marlins Swimming Club (MSM), based in the heart of Mid Sussex, is looking for a head coach. Are you an inspirational and highly motivated coach looking for a new challenge with one of the South East’s most highly competitive clubs with the community at its heart? Are you able to build on our success and lead a team focused on taking our club to a higher level?
Mid Sussex Marlins is one of the largest swimming and water polo clubs in Sussex and the South of England. It is a diverse and vibrant club with around 950 members, across many sections – competitive squads, masters, disability/para-swimming, water polo and teaching groups, with a strong representation at county, regional and national level as well as entering teams in the National Arena Swimming League (South) and the British Waterpolo League. MSM is SwimMark accredited and committed to the development of its teachers, coaches and officials. The establishment of a Head Coach position is considered important to provide a focal point for the future success and vibrancy of the club.
The successful candidate will lead and develop a team of teachers and coaches, who will be responsible for nurturing swimmers to achieve their full potential in accordance with long term athlete development (LTAD). The club currently has numerous sessions (pool and/or land training) every day, mornings and evenings. The majority of these take place at 4 pools: in Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Ardingly College and Hurstpierpoint College.
- ASA/Swim England Level 3 Coaching qualification and ASA Swim England level 2 teaching swimming certificate;
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of LTAD and swimming to an appropriate level;
- Good knowledge of the aquatic sports including disability/ para swimming, water polo, teaching, competitive and masters swimmers;
- Be skills-focused with the ability to apply and share technical knowledge;
- Excellent time management, organisation, communication and administration skills;
- Ability to work with and encourage swimmers at all levels ensuring that all athletes are given the opportunity to maximise their potential;
- Ability to motivate, lead and work well with a team;
- Demonstrate sensitivity and respect for the needs of all involved with the club.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate training programmes for all squads in conjunction with the squad lead coaches;
- Commitment to attend CPD opportunities as appropriate and facilitate the development of the whole coaching and teaching team;
- Commitment to promote multi classification swimming and provide a pathway for disability swimmers into competitive swimming;
- To have an up to date knowledge of all the technical rules of swimming and share this with all team coaches;
- Follow all policies and codes as required by the club;
- Follow the ASA child protection policy and ensure it is promoted;
- Attend meetings and/or submit reports as required by the management committee;
- Liaise with the Head Teacher and Lead coaching team to ensure progression and continuity;
- Ensure all swimmers are involved in their own development and progress;
- Develop a positive working partnership with swimmers and their parents;
- Plan competition calendar and be responsible for team selection with lead coaches;
- Attend specified galas and give positive feedback, encouragement and support to all;
- A DBS check and references will form part of the suitability for the role. A full driving licence is also essential.
Remuneration commensurate with experience and coaching qualification level attained or progressing towards plus entitlement to additional expenses for attending swimming meets.
Reporting to: Mid Sussex Marlins Board member
Appointed by: Mid Sussex Marlins Swimming Club Executive Committee
All applications will be treated with the utmost confidentiality.
Please note, candidates that apply and meet the criteria will be invited to an interview as soon as possible as there is an immediate position to fill.
How to apply:
Applications should be made by submitting the following via email to the Chairman Mid Sussex Marlins at: email@example.com
Cover letter including a personal statement addressing the essential criteria and why you believe your skills, experience and values meet the requirements of the position.
Comprehensive CV, including 2 references.
Candidates will be invited for interview and coaching assessment
Any questions to be directed to the club chairman